[Ti] AAC vs MP3 (slightly OT)

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 14:49:01 PDT 2003

Sam Hotchkiss paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 9:51AM -0700, Tarik Bilgin wrote:
>>The solution seems to be a USB  (Firewire if you are in Pro Audio)
>>or PCMCIA based sound card.
>>
>>There is a nice one from a company for only $99 that was recently
>>given excellent reviews at tomshardware.com that should give us
>>(close to) hi-fi line out from our Ti's
>>
>>I'll track it down and post the links to the products here for
>>those interested.
>
>awesome, thanks :)
>--

USB Audio cards are 'Pro", the firewire thing is about hard drives
and running hardware that connects to the Mac, also. Every major
[i.e. 'pro'] recording, audio signal treatment application out there
will use USB. You want a card that has 24/96 capability to take
advantage of the Mac's [including, certainly, the Ti-Books], amazing
built-in audio capabilities.

The apps that are in common use with USB Audio, Audio/MIDI, and MIDI
cards,include Reason 2, Logic 5, Waveburner Pro, Absynth [and all of
the major, 'crucial' software-based samplers], etc

Don't get me wrong, there are Great firewire cards out there, no
kidding, and tons of people use them. M-Audio's FireWire 410 is
terrific for audio and MIDI in/out. But Mark of the Unicorn [the
Digital Performer people] have a card that is in wide, professional
use also, and it is a PCI card that offers complete separation from
internal hum/noise, etc. Check out the MOTU 2408 at www.motu.com
It's a standalone unit, and runs off the flagship PCI-424 card that
offers up to 96 simultaneous tracks.. That's a lot of room for
inexpensive software [VST, or MAS] effects to clean up even the
messiest mix.

In firewire, for hardware disk recording, the MOTU 828 is amazing,
also. But it is one of the cheaper FireWire hardware units and runs
over $800 with taxes.

http://m-audio.rjmg.com/index.cfm?pid=3243  This takes you to the
Maudio Quattro, 24bit/96kHz USB card ($349)

~flipper

There are lots of others, but it comes down to a card that works with
the most audio processing systems.