[Ti] Which airport card alternative?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Wed Aug 6 00:42:52 PDT 2003

On 8/5/03 10:38, "Steve Hartong" <shartong at naperinsure.com> wrote:

> I recently got a Buffalo "AirStation" card that uses the new "g" format
> which is 5 times faster than "b".  I couldn't refuse because it is only $60
> at Macwarehouse and it is 5 times faster.  It is incredible.  Entire web
> pages show up on screen in the blink of an eye.

Unless you have a dedicated T-3 internet connection, your web pages are not
showing up any faster with the "g" format card than with a "b" style card.
The 54 MB/s is for starters theoretical and will not be seen unless it's a
file transfer between 2 machines on the same LAN and you are "close" to the
base station.

"g" and "a" format cards use the 5 Ghz radio band which is highly
susceptible to interference and whose performance (throughput) falls off
dramatically with distance and virtually any interfering structures.

They are however not prone to interference from cordless phones like the "b"
standard working in the 2.4 Ghz band.

--
Jesse

"If you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible,
elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is
completely impervious to reality"  -H. Arp