[Ti] Which airport card alternative?

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Wed Aug 6 12:12:45 PDT 2003

On 8/6/03 12:46, "Paul H. Yoshimune" <paul at yoshimune.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 12:33:57PM -0400, Jesse Brown wrote:
>>
>> The 11 MB/s is roughly equivalent to T-1 speeds. You're telling me you're
>> getting better than T-1 Speed on your cable modem?
>
> Actually, a T1 is 1.5Mb (mega-BITS), which isn't entirely unheard of for the
> downstream side on a cable modem connection.  Even 11Mb (not to mention 11MB)
> is 7+ times faster than a T1, which I agree, it seems unlikely the user is
> saturating...

Paul,

I'm thinking about real world speeds here which are affected by a number of
things including distance from the base station (speeds fall off or are
stepped down as distance increases), number of nodes on the network sharing
that 11 Mb/s, inherent Collision Avoidance latency, tcp overhead,
interference and what you wind up with in "many" cases is throughput no
hiher than 1 - 1.5 Mb/s which also happens on 10BaseT wired networks to some
degree.

Anyway if Steve's perception is that pages load "much" faster on "g" cards
than "b" cards then so be it. Maybe he's the only cable modem user on his
segment.
--
Jesse

"I would rather see the portrait of a dog I know, than all the allegorical
paintings they can show me in the world."  - Samuel Johnson