[Ti] Previous on-the-cusp-of-new-models purchases

cbirds cbirds at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 19:47:04 PDT 2003

On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 10:32  PM, Peter Krug wrote:

> Thanks to all who chimed in on this subject - My wife will place the
> order Friday afternoon and try to explain to the purchasing agent that
> she wants the upgrade if the Ti/1 GHz is discontinued.  I didn't
> mention that this was an Educational Institution and that she is
> purchasing this from grant funds specifically for computer purchases.
> I don't think that she can fork over any cash to make up any price
> difference (she would probably lose the tax-exempt status) but maybe
> they'll just send her the low end 15-inch replacement and give her the
> rest of the money to blow into the ether....

I have been buying computer "packages" (personal Mac shopper!) for edu
people who have been given only so much money to spend. I have gotten
them refurbs and models that are on the cusp and was able to throw in
things like mice, floppy drives, carry cases, and printers and cables
for them. I then run them and set them up for a week, update them, burn
a CD with all the updates and extras, and off they go!
You should really shop around. My people usually are granted around
$1,500 total so I have to be a very good shopper.

Just a note that will make you nuts: One lady just got her new iBook
"package" from me (thanks to a grant) and loves it although she is not
a computer "nut" and has to ask me over and over how to do this or
that....they also just gave her a Palm Tungsten. Then lo and behold,
another department of the "institution" gave her another new laptop
with a 17" screen. She was upset because she has no idea what to do
with one computer let alone all these computers or where they get the
money for them! She is the last person to need two computers.
And you thought the economy was bad! :-)