[Ti] 12' Powerbook

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 12 17:28:56 PDT 2003

Alexandre Kapellos paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>Le Mercredi, 13 aoû 2003, à 00:01 Europe/Zurich,
>Hayes-Holgate, Shaun a écrit :
>
>>Can't you just hook up a cheap 17 or 21"
>>monitor to the 12" powerbook when you're
>>working at home?
>>
>Exactly! Anybody out there doing this?
>
>Alexandre

Sure, lots of us, probably. I use a LaCie
electron22blueIII monitor with my 667, all the
time. Quark, Final Cut pro, Premiere...matter of
fact, any Adobe app with all their palettes, and
the Macromedia apps all have plenty of room.

The LaCie wasn't 'cheap', though, but on the
other hand,  I can look at it for 30 - 40 hours
without eye fatigue ... around
deadlines.....priceless.

With full-screen renders, Photoshop, or
PhotoRetouch Pro work happening, I can use the
LCD to 'park' the palettes while the workspace
dominates the LaCie.

One other benefit: Working around the limited
video RAM on the earlier PowerBooks, like mine. I
can run the setup in 'clamshell' mode. That is,
with the system on 'sleep', close the PowerBook,
wake the system, and all of the video RAM is
devoted to the external monitor (otherwise it is
divided between the two). This allows millions of
colors at much higher resolutions.

Panther, in a 15-minute 'test' a month ago, gave
me millions of colors at 100 Hz, at very high
res. Looking forward to it when it comes out. My
monitor only runs at up to 85 Hz, for now. The
higher Hz yields even less 'flicker'...makes for
an extremely stable, easy-to-view image.

If your budget permits, go for the external.

~flipper