[Ti] New Omniweb out. Worth $30? [OT]

b fl1pper at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 13 16:18:27 PDT 2003

John Griffin paused, thought it over, and spoke thusly:

>I just noticed in VT that a new Omniweb is out. Apparently they have thrown
>nearly everything in the previous version out and started from scratch. It
>now appears to be Safari on Steroids (same engine as Safari but with many
>more tools to play with).
>
>Has anyone tried it? Is it worth it?
>
>jg

Safari on Steroids? Nope, that sounds more like Camino.

I've used Omni for some time (as well as Safari and Camino).

The latest OmniWeb is 4.5, and it is identical to the 4.5 beta
version that I used for months here. I like Omni, a lot. But it is no
faster than Safari. As a matter of fact, if you encounter a lot of
auto-fill type forms in your web usage, you might find Omni's habit
of requiring Command-Shift-F to perform the 'auto-fill' a bit
annoying. I do. Camino and Safari auto-fill automatically, as long as
you say "OK" when each of them saves the form the first time through.

I paid for Omni, and a few other OmniGroup apps, and i have no
regrets. Omni has much more flexible Preferences (especially
concerning how it presents itself online, Cookies, etc). I like the
flexibility. (being able to block cookies from specified sites,
accepting cookies till session ends, only, etc). Your mileage may
vary.

~flipper

P.S. These three browsers tend to play a bit of 'leap-frog' with each
other. The newest version of whichever browser usually incorporating
the niftiest new feature. However, the next release from one of the
others then 'leaps' that one a bit...and so it goes.