[Ti] powerbook with HDTV

Erik Gaderlund gaderson at mac.com
Wed Aug 13 16:11:49 PDT 2003

At 23:07 -0700 08/12/03, Ron nie wrote:
>hello group,
>can powerbook hook up with the HDTV?
>on the HDTV, its has the 15pin pc connection, and also
>have the s video.
>i know that i can use the s cable to hook up with the
>powerbook but with that s cable, i can only see the
>DVD right?
>is there any chance that i can use the HDTV as my
>monitor (to use computer)? if yes, what kind of cable
>do i need?

You can hook up the 15-pin (aka VGA) connector if you have the same
15-pin cable input on your HDTV (usually labeled VGA)-just use a
VGA-VGA cable.  But, usually they only default to the standard 4:3
resolutions, i.e. 1024x768, 800x600 etc.  The real way would be to
get the output of your connector to one of the HDTV standards that
your set would accept.
I would like to be able to output the standard 720P signal from my PB
to my hdtv so I could use the whole screen to do HTPC stuff (Home
Theater PC), so along with a M-Audio Sonic I could output Dolby
Digital surround sound and play non-Region 1 DVDs that I would like
to get.  But, so far their isn't anything like PowerStrip on Windows
that allows the alternate display resolutions.

>if i hook up the s cable, do i need to change the
>setting? or will the pic, come in automatically?

It should come up, and I think mirroring works with OS 10.2.  If not
just drag the DVD player to the S-video desktop.

Now the real challeng is to watch HDTV on your PowerBook, which is
possible, and you can even record it!  Trick is you need the
requisite hardware.  A Firewire enabled HDTV monitor, and/or an HDTV
tuner (the Samsung SIR-T165 is the only one being sold with
Firewire), or a D-VHS VCR (JVC has 3 out right now, that do work.)
Then you need the latest Firewire SDK from Apple (check their
Developer section.) For more info check around at the
http://www.htmug.com).  I've been able to capture from my D-VHS deck,
but, don't have the Samsung to try recording.

erik g