[Ti] dead cdrom on TI500 - what are my options

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 23 21:39:29 PDT 2003

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 07:38  PM, mac2 mail wrote:
> I have a TI 500 with the stock CDROM/DVD-ROM drive which has recently
> died.  It will accept a cd then in a few seconds, eject it.  When the
> cd is in the drive, the drive never spins up.  I will probably keep
> this system for another 9-12 months and definately need some type of
> optical drive.  If for nothing else, Panther will be out in September
> and I want to load that.  I feel that I have (2) options:

I'm suggested reading the thread "DVD don't spit at me..."  which you
can find by searching the archives at:
<http://lists.themacintoshguy.com/Lists/Titanium/List.html> (warning:
the page often takes time to load)
Essentially though, people (myself included) have had success getting
the CD to read by tapping hard on the palm rest above the DVD-ROM or
squeezing the top and bottom of the case near the middle of the case
until yo hear a snap as if something were reconnected.  Again, I would
read the thread for the info.  It certainly helped me out, and the
powerbook and it's new owner have had no problems reading media since
then.

Benn