[Ti] dead cdrom on TI500 - what are my options

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sat Aug 23 23:49:04 PDT 2003

I work for an Apple Authorized Service Provider that also installs MCE
drives...  We decided to go the MCE route because a lot of people
wanted to upgrade their PowerBook drives, and because upgrading the
original PBG4 to a Combo drive was cheaper than replacing the drive
with an identical DVD drive from Apple; even though Apple gives us a
credit for returning the old drive, and MCE doesn't.
Anyway, I've installed a fair number of drives (probably 20 or so), and
only one has come back so far that I'm aware of.  The only bad thing
that I can say about them is that I'm reasonably sure that the priority
for their drive supply is their own installation.  I can't blame them,
I suppose; they make more money by both selling and installing a drive
than by selling the drive to us and then we install it.  Unfortunately,
this has meant 2-3 month waits for a few of our customers while we try
to restock the drive.  And I suppose I could say one more bad thing
about them along those same lines; they're not particularly responsive
to us.  When we first wanted to order a drive, a guy I work with  left
voicemail or E-mail for 3 different people at MCE, trying to order a
combo drive.  None of them responded...  Finally, our customer just
decided to call MCE's main phone number, and they finally got in touch
with us.  Eesh.  Even now, it sometimes takes a couple tries to get the
drives ordered.

But I can say that the drives have been good, at least.  That's what's
important, right? ;-)

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html