Linksys router wireless problems.

Vance Eschenburg vance at eschenburg.org
Mon Aug 25 10:23:15 PDT 2003

Hello All,

I got one of the dual 802.11b and g Linksys 4-port routers (WRT54G)
over the weekend. I managed to get the router up and running so my
laptop can connect to it via ethernet cable, but have so far been
unable to make a wireless connection. I have the router's wireless
control panel set to 'mixed' so it can make b connections and have
updated the firmware on the router.

I can't tell what exactly is going wrong because, when I connect, my
laptop only says, 'The airport has encountered an error while trying to
connect.' Gee..... thanks a lot little guy. :)

Whenever I am at school, I can connect wirelessly so I know my internal
airport card is running well. So I think I have a setting problem.

I've tried various combos: different channels, with/without wep,
with/without router name broadcasting, etc....

Has anyone had these problems? What's the magic list of settings that
will fix this?

Thanks in Advance,
Vance