No sound in OS X 10.2.5

Mike Gould mgould at umich.edu
Wed Aug 27 07:31:38 PDT 2003

Greetings, all;

   I have a user I support who has an 800MHz Ti and I can't for the
life of me get the sound to work.

I did a completely clean install of OS 10.2 (wiping the drive first),
then took him up to 10.2.5 via the Apple Update CD.

Going to the sound control panel it shows no devices for input or
output. Under soundeffects you can see the sounds but they are grayed
out.

I have:

repaired permissions
re-set the NVRAM
blown  the PRAM
replaced the AppleOnboardAudio.kext file from a known-good system

Sound works properly from OS 9.

It may have worked properly before he installed RealAudio; he can't
remember. Is there a way to uninstall RA to test this?

Thanks for any and all advice; this has been driving both of us crazy.

...Mike
--
  Mike Gould - Mac Maven, Wireless Wonk
University of Michigan School of Education