[Ti] Best wireless router solution

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Aug 27 11:59:04 PDT 2003

>>What are the best alternative you have found, esp. in
>>the realm of hybrid connectivity (PC and Macs sharing
>>the same wireless connection).  Cost is not an issue;
>>however, quality and realiability are.  I'm not on
>>802-g, but a router that has that flexibility built in
>>is a plus.

here is my brief, layman's overview of wireless, based on installing
5 wireless networks for home and/or small business use. While this in
no way makes me an expert, it has required me to read a few tech
notes, spend some time with various tech support and generally figure
out how to get bits to play well with each other.

802.11b vs. 802.11g:

First, the trade off between version b and g speed is distance; on
Apple's new Airport Xtreme, g distance drops to 50 feet (150 feet for
b); similar drops in distance are standard in other routers that
offer both b and g.  Version b operates at 10baseT ethernet speed, so
even with a fast broadband connection, speed differences "might" be
noticed with 4 or more computers continuously downloading files.
While there have been some anecdotal reports of speed increases with
version g, these or more likely caused by poor signal or other
factors rather than the actual change in signal.

Version g is advantageous in small offices because shared connections
are generally within the range of g and often require 4 or more
devices. In addition, filesharing between those computers could also
benefit from the fast g connection, which I believe is 100baseT
ethernet equivalent.

One way to offset the distance loss with the new Airport X as well as
most newer wireless routers is with an external antenna; these can be
had starting at about $70.  Most wireless routers come with external
antennae, which is why their distance ratings are much higher than
Airport X out of the box

Compatibility:

Since the 802.11 is an adopted standard (pioneered by Apple) in
wireless data transfer, there should be no problem connecting
wireless devices. HAHAHAHAHA!  While I have found this to be almost
true, there are some issues with WEP (wireless encryption protocol).
We put a Linksys wireless PC card in a Windows laptop and tried
connecting to the Airport Extreme network. Including and hour with
Linksys tech support, we could find no way to connect to the Airport
with WEP enabled. This client chose to keep WEP disabled, as it was a
home network, and they used non-trivial passwords on all their
devices leaving only the actual wireless connection open; if someone
wanted to warchalk their wireless connection they would have to park
obviously on their suburban side street.

I am currently using DLink products in my home and office network,
and there is no problem with WEP from them to Macs; so whether this
is an Apple issue or a Linksys issue or a Windows issue,
unfortunately it would be a mark against the Airport Extreme if your
Windows devices are using (at least some)Linksys products and you
require a secure network.

Comparisons:

I am an Apple Evangelist and I really like the look of the new
Airport, but there are only 2 advantages to the Airport that make it
worth its EXTREME price:
- Style (if your wireless network is in your living room and you
don't want some ugly tin/plastic box hanging on your wall.)

- USB printer sharing.  The USB/Rendezvous connection on the Airport
makes sharing a USB printer a breeze (and yes, the Windows laptop
could print to the device too). However, a note to those with
"All-in-one" printers, only the print functions work. The scan/fax
software looks to the physical USB port for the device.

I am currently a big fan of DLink products; their support is average,
but it is generally average. Their Mac support seems equal to their
Windoze support. They have a wireless router that is browser
configurable, has 4 additional ethernet ports for non-wireless
connections and two external antennae for around $70.  This router
also supports bridging, which is also supported in the new Airport
Extremes, but not in older Airport Base stations.

Bridging is connecting two or more networks wirelessly.  If this is
something that is important to you, make sure to check the wireless
device SPECIFICALLY for that feature as most cheaper routers DO NOT
support bridging.  An example where bridging is needed: my house and
my office are separated by about 100 feet, though on the same
property. I have multiple computers in both locations, so I connected
wirelessly between the two buildings using a bridge.

Here are a few links if you want more info:
<http://www.macwireless.com/>
<http://www.warchalking.org/>
<http://www.psand.net/clan/>
<http://flakey.info/>
<http://www.bristolwireless.net/index.php>
<http://www.cantenna.com/>

Hope this helps in your decision-making.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com