[Ti] Range of connection

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Wed Aug 27 15:31:12 PDT 2003

>>However, if he has WEP enabled you will need a password to join his network.
>
>OK this is where I am worried, IP address? How do I get that without
>going over there. I thought I could just open the Airport software
>and the computer would "find" it.

The Airport card can "find" open networks, but depending on the level
of encryption he has enabled on the router, you may have to either
know the IP or the name of the network. However, from the way you
describe your brother, he probably is using standard configuration,
in which case the network name is usually "default" or something
equally generic (this is called the SSID in the router config).

In your Airport Network settings make sure you have the button
selected that approximately says, "choose airport network with the
best signal" which will let your Airport roam for any connection
within its range.  If something shows up, choose it and hope it
doesn't ask for a password...
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com