[Ti] Best wireless router solution

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Aug 27 20:00:14 PDT 2003

>Right now I use a regular old Netgear "hub", and no one can tell me if it is really an actual HUB or a ROUTER or both, but I just know it does the job of putting more than one of my many Macs online at once...without any sort of configuration.

A hub does not add or subtract IP addresses. It just allows multiple devices to attach to a network.

A router can typically be configured to create and assign private IP addresses so as to allow 1 public address to then be used by many computers, each of which would be given one of the private IP addresses that the router then 'routed'.

You didn't ask, but a hub and a switch do the same thing except that a switch allows for faster routing of data due to its intelligence.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

Error: Something only humans can commit.