[Ti] Range of connection

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Wed Aug 27 19:44:39 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 08:58 PM, Michael S. Roels wrote:

> How do you do this on an airport base station? Is this possible with
> an ABS?

Yes, it is possible.  I believe you scan the network for available
stations, select one, and then click on the Configure option.  I no
longer use an Airport Basestation because it didn't have enough range.

I use a Belkin F5D6130 with a homemade directional antenna mounted on a
45 ft tower.  It's about 3/8 mile between my home and office, and I use
the wireless link at that range with no problems, and in fact, is how I
get internet access from my home.  Occasionally I'll get loss of signal
due to atmospheric conditions - rain or snow is the usual culprit,
however, right now I can ping the WAP at that range with no packet loss
sitting at my kitchen table and all bars are lit on the AirPort signal
strength indicator.  For some unknown reason, if I move to my living
room where I should get an even better signal due to a large window
being on the same side as the remote antenna, the signal strength drops
to two bars and I get ~30% packet loss on a ping.  Maybe wiring in the
wall or something causes that.

I just use mac filtering because encryption/decryption slows things
down too much, and I don't transmit any confidential data anyway.  The
mac filter just keeps others off my network, with which I could provide
wireless internet access to a pretty large section of the community in
where I live, if I wanted to.
--
Chris