Lightning - charger connection

Howard W. Knoebel hwknoebel at rr1.net
Wed Aug 27 21:41:41 PDT 2003

Lightning struck.  My titanium power book G4 was not plugged in and it
worked after the strike.  The power supply was plugged into the wall but
not to the computer.  When the Tibook battery ran down, I reconnected the
power supply but did not notice the light in the connector.  Later on I
noticed the Tibook was dead.  The battery showed no charge.  Upon close
examination I found some burn damage near the light on the
connector.  Thinking the power-supply was ruined by the lightning, I
ordered a new one.

I connected the new power-supply to the now dead Tibook and the green light
in the connector came on.  There was no yellow.  The computer remained dead.

I wonder if the damaged power-supply could have caused trouble in the
Tibook.  Does the computer battery connect to the power-supply port?  Could
back flow of current cause damage to the computer?  Are the rectifier
diodes located in the power-book thus giving protection against back-flow
or are they in the power-supply in which case back flow would be likely?

Would repair be feasible?

Howard