[Ti] File sharing past router?

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Aug 27 22:01:26 PDT 2003

>How do I file share with someone who has a 192.etc IP behind a router?

Unless they have specifically designed it for you to be able to do this, you can't. That is the beauty of private IPs. They are considered non routable. That is what makes those computers safe from hackers.

One way to hit an IP inside of a router is to declare a specific private IP address to be in the DMZ. That computer will get all traffic that is not otherwise specifically routed to other private IPs via port forwarding.

That last part of the previous sentence also stated how you can specify that ports 548 and 427 should be port forwarded to a specific internal private IP if you just wanted all Personal File Sharing or afp traffic to always go to a specific computer.

>There doesn't seem to be a problem with mine because there is no software associated with it. But I can't dial into anyone's with the local IP.

Not sure what the above is saying.
--

Robert Ameeti
mailto:robert at ameeti.net

If your chute doesn't open, your next jump is free!