[Ti] Lightning - charger connection

Robert Ameeti robert at ameeti.net
Wed Aug 27 22:07:15 PDT 2003

>Lightning struck.  My titanium power book G4 was not plugged in and it worked after the strike.  The power supply was plugged into the wall but not to the computer.  When the Tibook battery ran down, I reconnected the power supply but did not notice the light in the connector.  Later on I noticed the Tibook was dead.  The battery showed no charge.  Upon close examination I found some burn damage near the light on the connector.  Thinking the power-supply was ruined by the lightning, I ordered a new one.
>
>I connected the new power-supply to the now dead Tibook and the green light in the connector came on.  There was no yellow.  The computer remained dead.
>
>I wonder if the damaged power-supply could have caused trouble in the Tibook.

Yes. A good power supply will deliver a lesser amount of voltage and current to the PowerBook. A damaged power supply could deliver an excessive amount of voltage or current.

>  Does the computer battery connect to the power-supply port?

Indirectly.

> Could back flow of current cause damage to the computer?

Back flow? Sounds like a plumbing term. While the electrons in an DC current flow one direction, I don't think 'back flow' would qualify as the problem.

> Are the rectifier diodes located in the power-book thus giving protection against back-flow or are they in the power-supply in which case back flow would be likely?

Did you make up the term back flow?

>Would repair be feasible?

Couldn't say.
--