[Ti] [OT] what to say to Windows users:

Tarik tarik at opalblue.com
Fri Aug 29 01:10:13 PDT 2003

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 08:16  pm, b wrote:

> Everything? Obviously?
>
> Like:

well said, flipper.

Most PC users I know don't use PC's because they think they are
actually better (I only know a couple of these -- and they are odd
little cookies) but because they fall into one of 3 camps:

1) It's what everyone else uses and/or  they don't want to risk any
incompatibility ( for example did you know that the VBA scripting
language is not truly cross platform as MS claims)

2) They are gamers and want the latest greatest games and also to be
able to readily upgrade/mod their machine to make use of the latest
hardware

3) They are cheap. (most fall in this camp) You can explain to be
people about total cost of ownership until you are blue in the face,
but for some people cash spent is the most important factor. It's a
psychological thing... (I'm talking about middle class people in
developed service economies here by the way).

as far as i am concerned Apple are doing the right thing at the moment,
chipping away with better and better software, most of which is bundled
free. Most PC users will admit that MS have done anything even vaguely
innovative or useful in their OS since the first release of Windows
2000 (I still run 2k in preference to XP) . Can't wait to see that
distributed compile feature working in 10.3 :)

--
Tarik

PS I recently built a new PC for reasons 1 and 2 as well as to support
my windows slave clients.

PPS making this thread OT again.