[Ti] Welcome to the club of Responsible Computer Users.

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Mon Dec 1 13:13:37 PST 2003

on 03/12/01 11:30, Ron Cooper at rcooper at newmex.com wrote:

>>        PowerBook G4 Titanium List Digest #2748

>> To switch to the message mode, E-mail to
>> <Titanium-feed at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Need help from a real person? Try.
>> <Titanium-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>> ----------
>> NineWire          | If they are cool enough to host this list...
>> Digital Solutions | ...you should check them out! http://www.NineWire.com/
>>
>>  USB Stuff |   Cool USB Stuff for your Cool New Mac!
>>  Dr. Bott  |   <http://www.drbott.com/prod/alist/USB.html>
>>
>>   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
>>   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml
>>
>>  RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler
>>  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>
>> ----------
>>

>> 1) Sync two computers ?
>> 2) Re: airport base
>> 3) Re: Sync two computers ?

>> To switch to the message mode, E-mail to
>> <Titanium-feed at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Need help from a real person? Try.
>> <Titanium-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>> ----------
>> $14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
>> Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com
> THANKS JERRY FOR THE BACKUP INFO... BUT  as a user of two computers (with
> differrent operating systems -G4/G5) how do I on a daily basis at minimum keep
> all files synchronized? That is if I make changes in email and word and excel
> on my 12" and then I am on the G5 and make chages and download a Gizmo or
> two... how (what application do I use) to keep them the same?

You're have to map out a synchrnonization plan which is compatible with
where and how you are going to use and move these two computers and the the
external drive. Is this external drive a portable that you take with you?
I've heard of people who always take their portable Firewire drive with them
and plug it into whichever Mac they are using.  The data on the portable
drive is their "master".  Will that work for you?

In making this plan, the idea is to always synchronize your /Users or Home
(i.e. /Users/me) folder with your latest work.  Using the application such
as Synchronize! Pro X, these "tasks" set to fire off automatically every
day.

It's confusing with two computers and an external drive, which is one reason
why I only use one Mac.  (I never have to worry about which copy is the
"master".)  In your case, you're going to have to be careful that you never
over-write today's data with yesterday's.  It will probably happen in about
two weeks, just when you think you've got your routine stable and disable
the warnings in whatever sync software you use.