[Ti] How do I remove OS9 from Panther?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Wed Dec 3 16:08:09 PST 2003

On Dec 3, 2003, at 3:49 PM, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> onsdagen den 3 december 2003 kl 19.20 skrev Loren Schooley:
>
>> Reinstall Panther, zero out the hard drive during the first part of
>> the setup (you will experience HUGE speed improvements).
> ----------------
> What do you mean by "zero out the hard drive". Some alternative way of
> saying "format"? Could you please explain one step further.

I've found this to be an old wives tale.  I've installed Panther on
perhaps 20-30 machines now for various clients and people, some with OS
9, some without.  There's no technical or practical reason, nor any
indication in my real world experience, that removing OS 9 from the
system speeds things up.  All it does is recover perhaps 750 MB of disk
space, depending on how many Classic apps you have installed in it.
Both my Titaniums have OS 9 installed, one with both OS's on a single
partition, one with OS 9 on a separate partition.  While I haven't
performed any official benchmarks, both have 1GB RAM, and the Ti 800 is
faster at rendering large ESRI Shape files in ArcExplorer, with Classic
running in the background, than the 1Ghz machine is at rendering the
same file with the OS 9 partition not even mounted to the filesystem.
--
Chris