L3 cache on/off problems

Anthony Oxlade Anthony.Oxlade at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 09:54:02 PST 2003

Hi everyone,

This is a bit of long one....

Since upgrading to 10.3.1  (i've got a Tibook 800/40/512) i've noticed that
my l3 cache is no longer working (courtesy of the hardware preference pane).
The apple system profiler lists only L2 cache as does x bench, and the
hardware preference pane only has an option to turn L2 cache on/off.

I've downloaded two programs to try to enable the cache (cpudirector and
CachecontrolX) but they haven't been much use. I've managed to get the L3
cache working once or twice by using these programs but it just dissapears
again upon restart. (usually after a system hang). Getting it to work seems
to be more about luck than anything else, it just appears after a restart
and a bit of fiddling.

I've tried everything else from firware resets/pram zapping/removing and
replacing ram but nothing seems to work. One other thing is that
cachecontrolX displays 'L3 cache disabled:bad sram's'....im not sure what
this means exactly.

Does anyone know what might be happening or how i can fix this?

thanks

Anthony