Alternative to Toast 6?

debkmaillist at waymark.net debkmaillist at waymark.net
Thu Dec 11 20:00:34 PST 2003

Hi,

Due to major dissatisfaction with Roxio's [non] customer support, I am
wondering what alternatives there are to Toast 6.  I have Toast 5, and the
Spin Doctor filters have expired, something to do with licensing and about
which they will not respond to me.  (This should not be my problem, since I
paid full price in June for Toast 5 and I should expect to have the full
functionality of software that I paid for.)  Apparently Toast 6 has
non-expiring Spin Doctor filters, but I don't really care to give Roxio any
more of my money.  They inform me that I am only eligible for the standard
upgrade discount rebate, despite having purchased v5 about 3 months before
v6 was released.  But that issue notwithstanding, it is not appropriate for
them to not offer me recourse for their licensing screw-up.

Thus I am looking for other software.  I use it to burn CDs, Mac & PC
compatible, by both duplicating (for backup purposes) and by creating my own
set of files for the CD (backing up images, and creating CDs with old family
pictures on them for relatives).  I would like to be able to select the burn
rate (1x-24x).  I am also interested in capabilities like that of Spin
Doctor, to import sound files from old LP records.  I hope to make
multimedia CDs at some point, so that relatives can view my Reunion files
[genealogy software] complete with pictures, sound & video snippets, etc.
And I'd like to convert non-digital video (VHS, Hi8 video camera) to CDs at
some point.

I will upgrade to Panther on my TiBook 15" soon.  Any suggestions of
alternatives to Toast are appreciated.  Or [as a fairly new OS X user] are
the above, things I can do in Jaguar/Panther already?  Do I need to get Jim
Heid's "Mac iLife" book?  Maybe I don't need Toast at all; I've just used it
for years.

Thx, Deb