Starting Jaguar on a PowerBook from a SCSI hard drive

Roald Baudoux roald.baudoux at brutele.be
Fri Dec 12 00:33:49 PST 2003

PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote / a ecrit :

> > Wow. There is either something amiss with your TiBook or your standards
> > for speed must be pretty high. :-) I have an 867 TiBook with 512mb and
> > I run Panther without any complaints. I also ran various releases of
> > Jaguar before that. How slow does it run?

Well, any time I have to open a file (soundfiles at least) I have to wait
10 to 20 seconds in front of the "rainbow CD" icon. MacOS 9.2.2 is much
faster on the same machine.

> What do you mean by slow? Compared to what? Personally, I wouldn't use
> such a small disk for a startup with OS X. I have a 9Gig and an 18Gig,
> both SCSI that I've been thinking of ways to use with my Ti for backup
> purposes, but as a lover of lots of space and a large  iTunes library,
> I'd have to have at least a 20 or 30 Gig as startup.

My iTunes library is not on the same partition as the system so I do not
need a big drive. But I need to know how fast it will run on a SCSI drive
through a SCSi-to-FireWire adapter.

> I haven't heard
> anyone mention use of the SCSI to FW adapters. For the price I've seen,
> it would be less expensive to get a FW enclosure for the HD

FireWire-to-SCSI adapters do exist indeed. And I don't think you can
install a SCSI hard drive in a FireWire enclosure (FireWire enclosures
contain IDE drives usually).

> if you're really worried just spring for the 7200 rpm 2.5 inch drives
> by Fujitsu.

Do you think it will either be noisier than the 4200 rpm drive or cause the
fan to be activated more often (I use my computer for music so it does
matter)?

Thank you for all the answers.

Best regards,

Roald Baudoux