[Ti] setting the gateway in Jaguar/Network

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Sat Dec 13 05:22:32 PST 2003

On 13 Dec 2003, at 13:09, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> There seems no option in the [Jaguar 10.2.8] Network panel to enter
> the router ID if the main IP address is assigned by the DHCP server.
> Is there a way round this?

ok.

Setting a default gateway in windows (either manually or from the DHCP
server) basically sets up a static route on that computer, which is of
the form:

"for any IP address on any network, make the first hop my gateway"

to do this in mac os x you can use the route command (man route to read
the man pages) but unless you are strong on TCP/IP networking this
might be tough.

I guess we need  a GUI app or utility that will set up such a thing.

To any networking gurus:

When we use DHCP doesn't the DHCP server give us a "default route" into
the routing table?

--
Tarik Bilgin