[Ti] setting the gateway in Jagaur/Network

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Sat Dec 13 04:50:21 PST 2003

On 13 Dec 2003, at 08:53, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> There seems no option in the [Jaguar 10.2.8] Network panel to enter
> the router ID if the main IP address is assigned by the DHCP server.
> Is there a way round this?

I am not sure I understand the exact technical detail of what is going
on from what you have given us, but I will make some stabs in the dark:

1) Since POP mail seems to work for manual IP addresses, you could ask
the support team to assign your Powerbook a fixed IP address which
would then mean you could use it manually instead of with a DHCP
server. Have you asked them if the POP server will only respond to
certain IP addresses as an authentication measure? If this is true you
will need a manual IP address to collect your mail.

2) If they tell you that doesn't matter - make sure that the DNS server
IP is the gateway IP address.

a) Once you have done this try the following:

open a terminal and try:

ping nameofmailserver.domain.suffix

ping x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the mailserver)

If you can ping in both of these situations (you should see some
of your POP3 account, and compare for any glaring details with the
Outlook/PC version.

You will see in the advanced tab there is a port number. This is 99.99%
port 110  for most mail servers but your environment may use a
different port (I seem to remember SSL authenticating mail servers use
220 by default).

Furthermore perhaps your mail server is using SSL to authenticate
itself to you and then to encrypt the data (seems unlikely they encrypt
in Saudi where there are very strict rules on keeping communications
secret) and if this is the case you need to tick the box in
Accounts/Advanced and enter the relevant info (you need to speak to
your support again to get this).

Sorry this wasn't a simple quick answer but from the info you provided
it wasn't clear what the issue is.
--

Tarik Bilgin