[Ti] Speed-up safari

Daniel Rubinstein shardaeek at fmail.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 07:47:17 PST 2003

> --
>
> The maximum transmission unit (MTU) size is actually a system setting; not a
> Safari setting.  In 10.2 you could download quite a few shareware apps to set
> it for you or do it from the command line.  In 10.3 it's now a built-in
> feature of the Network preference pane.
>
> 1) Open up System Preferences and then Network
> 2) Click the Ethernet tab.  Then pull down the Configure menu and choose
> "Manually (Advanced.)"
>
> I'd recommend against changing the MTU setting UNLESS your DSL provider uses
> PPPoE as the connection method.  If they do, set a custom MTU of 1492.
>
> Let me know if this helped.
>
> Cheers
> ... jsn

Thanks, this was more information than I hoped for. It is great that OS X.3
has the Broadband optimiser functionality built in, but a shame that my ADSL
will not go any faster. Perhaps apple should have a "turbo" button as a
placebo solution for people with a slow connection; just like IBM 283 and
383 computers used to have, next to the on/off switch., Thanks again.

Daniel Rubinstein

----

"Terrorism is the nuclear bomb of the poor" - Jan Paul Sartre

----