[Ti] Speed-up safari

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Sat Dec 13 14:10:36 PST 2003

> From: Daniel Rubinstein <shardaeek at fmail.co.uk>
> Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:47:17 +0000
> To: "PowerBook G4 Titanium List" <Titanium at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] Speed-up safari
>

>> --
>>
>> The maximum transmission unit (MTU) size is actually a system setting; not a
>> Safari setting.  In 10.2 you could download quite a few shareware apps to set
>> it for you or do it from the command line.  In 10.3 it's now a built-in
>> feature of the Network preference pane.
>>
>> 1) Open up System Preferences and then Network
>> 2) Click the Ethernet tab.  Then pull down the Configure menu and choose
>> "Manually (Advanced.)"
>>
>> I'd recommend against changing the MTU setting UNLESS your DSL provider uses
>> PPPoE as the connection method.  If they do, set a custom MTU of 1492.
>>
>> Let me know if this helped.
>>
>> Cheers
>> ... jsn
>>

> Thanks, this was more information than I hoped for. It is great that OS X.3
> has the Broadband optimiser functionality built in,

It does not. Changing MTU is not a Bandwidth Opimizer.

>  but a shame that my ADSL
> will not go any faster.

Yeah, that is because your send and receive packets are set for Modem
connection speeds in your kernel by default.

Change your kernel settings by using sysctl and be happy!
I sent you the command before so every time you start up it resets it for
broadband, or go to version Tracker and download the Broadband Optimizer
program