[Ti] setting the gateway in Jaguar/Network

Dr Trevor J. Hutley hutley_tj at jic.edu.sa
Sat Dec 13 22:12:15 PST 2003

At 1:33 PM +0000 12/13/03, Tarik Bilgin wrote:
>On 13 Dec 2003, at 13:09, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>
>>At 12:50 PM +0000 12/13/03, Tarik Bilgin wrote:
>>On 13 Dec 2003, at 08:53, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>>
>>There seems no option in the [Jaguar 10.2.8] Network panel to enter
>>the router ID if the main IP address is assigned by the DHCP
>>server. Is there a way round this?
>
>Just thought I'd ask the obvious:
>
>IN your setup the DCHP server is different to the gateway/router?

Tarik - Yes, it is.

Rather than just explaining what I cannot do, perhaps it is helpful
to see the issue like this:

	I am trying to use the Firewall IP address as the gateway,
	whilst at the same time the DHCP server is assigning the IP
address to my Mac.

HOW can this be set up in Jaguar 10.2.8 ?

 From reading the Manual in the Unix terminal, I get the impression
that I should be doing something with this command:

  	route [-n] command [-net | -host] destination gateway [netmask]

with this modifier:

  	-static    RTF_STATIC     - manually added route

although I do not plan to "experiment" with such a command unless I
get some specific guidance.

Our PC support guy is very busy right now in supporting the computers
handling the on-site student registration (7000 students being
registered) so he is not likely to have time at the moment....

but I am desperate to find a way to access my POP mail servers
throught the firewall, so any help from anyone on thre List would be
greatly appreciated.

Trevor