[Ti] Actual Battery Life

gkar at mac gkar at mac.com
Mon Dec 15 07:37:11 PST 2003

On 12/15/03 9:09 AM, "Mike Stanley" <macguy at guarded-inn.com> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2003, at 8:09 AM, gkar at mac wrote:
>
>> I agree that the new 15" powerbook battery life is anemic compared to
>> previous models but your 81 minutes is pretty darn short. With
>> bluetooth
>> off, airport on, and backlighting set to about 50% I can get 140
>> minutes
>> without really trying. By turning off airport and and setting energy
>> saver
>> for aggressive energy savings, I can get just over 3 hours. That's
>> still 90
>> minutes shorter than my iBook but acceptable for my usage.
>
> Uh, sorry, but that sucks.  I get 3+ hours out of my 15" 1GHz TiBook
> with Airport on and backlighting set somewhere slightly upwards of 50%
> - and I mean well over 3 hours, not 3 hours and 5 minutes.  There are
> times when I glance at my battery indicator and it actually reports 4
> hours, although I don't think I've ever put that to the test.
>
> I guess iBooks get great battery life period (I've never owned one) but
> I can't see turning off airport (which would essentially render my
> TiBook useless in the way that I use it) to squeeze out a paltry 140
> minutes.

Obviously if I were surfing I'd not want airport off but I'm often where I
don't have access anyway so why have it on?

> Could something be *wrong* with these new batteries?  I've been so
> pleased with my TiBook's battery I've never considered 3rd party
> solutions, but if all I was getting was 81 minutes with airport on I
> think I'd buy one of those weird flat batteries that fit underneath the
> machine and supposedly provide several more hours of life.

What's wrong with the batteries is that they are *smaller* than the ti
batteries either to save weight or to save a bit of space. Note: I bought
this machine with my eyes wide open - had longer battery life been more
important to me I'd have bought the 12 inch. 80% of my usage is between 3
job locations and home so I'm mostly on electrics.

david

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

gkar at mac.com