[Ti] gateway SET in Jaguar

cheshirekat cheshirekat at pobox.com
Tue Dec 16 13:32:43 PST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003, the following words from Paul Russell
prussell at sonic.net, emerged from a plethora of SPAM ...

>>I was trying to find a way to access my POP mail accounts from
>>behind a firewall.
>>I could do this from my PC by setting the IP address of the firewall
>>as the default gateway (router), but there seemed no way to make the
>>same settings on my Powerbook in OS X/Jaguar.
>>
>>The generous help from this List has enabled me - as a Unix newbie -
>>to use the Unix commands in Terminal to set the  router address to
>>the firewall IP address, and now I am able to access my POP mail
>>accounts through the firewall....
>>
>>Quite impressive.
>>
>>I used:
>>
>>	% sudo route delete default
>>	% sudo route add default <ip address of firewall>
>>
>>As with everything, easy when you know how.  Thank you for sharing
>>your knowledge.
>>It has really been very helpful.
>>

>Well done Trevor -
>
>We'll have you growing your hair long, wearing sandals to work and
>eating granola yet. (Tired old stereotype of crusty Unix geek for
>those who've never met one ;-))

Eeeek!!

**Covers head with baseball cap, and stashes growing collection of sandals.**

Wait. My snacks of choice are Twizzlers, M&Ms, KitKat bars and lollipops.

Whew! That was a close one. Now I can go back to hiding the fact that
I've even been investigating Pine for email and news and spending way too
much time thinking the Terminal is an interesting beast.

--
Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca, writer and philosopher

* 867 PowerBook G4 * OS X 10.2.6 * 768 MB Ram *