[Ti] Installing panther on a partition

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Fri Dec 19 20:33:23 PST 2003

At 12:15 +0400 18/12/03, S. Moussly wrote:
>This may be a simple question, however, it=B9s better safe than sorry.
>
>I am currently running jaguar on one of four partitions that I have on my
>60GB HD. If I decide to upgrade to panther, would it effect any of my other
>partitions. I have critical data on the other partitions that I am afraid t=
>lose. The only back I can do at the moment is using my external 30 GB HD, i=
>which is not enough with all the data I have on my other partitions.

Sam - I was running Jaguar on a partitioned 80 Gb 5400 disk in my
15.2" Powerbook.

I recently installed Panther on one of the partitions, but continued
with the Jaguar partition as my start-up disk.  Just having Panther
installed had no effect on any other files or partitions.  I started
up in Panther from time to time to get an idea of what it was like,
and started adding applications to the dock.

Over the (Saudi) weekend, I made the full transition to Panther as my
main start-up disk.
It took a while to track down all the preferences, but there was no problems.

Today is my first day in the office, with Panther.  So far,
everything runs perfectly.

I note that my full-charged battery shows 2h 4 min as its life.
Slightly better than with Jaguar.

My impression is that Jaguar to Panther is a painless transition.

regards,  Trevor