[Ti] QT 6.5 "Could Not Install"

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat Dec 20 06:36:43 PST 2003

At 13:55 -0500 19/12/03, John Griffin wrote:
>So I spend the whole morning downloading and trying to install the new
>Quicktime only to be greeted with a dialog saying that it could not be
>installed "at this time. Please try again."
>
>So I try again and it starts the download from scratch. To Hell with this, I
>am not going to waste another 3 hours downloading it again. Surely there is
>somewhere on the disk where the downloaded file exists so I can try to
>install it manually.
>
>Can anyone help me out?

John - I normally use Software Update to show me which files need updating.
If they are of any size or significance (as QT, Panther update, ect)
I go to the "original" URL for the download - usually at the Apple
site - and then use SpeedDownload (yazsoft,com) to manage the
download.  Then I ALWAYS have a copy of the downloaded file under my
control.

This also avoids the weakness of Software Update, which is that it
cannot RESUME downloads.

For example, this evening, I came home from the office, where 10.3.2
update was downloading, and so just interrupted the incomplete
download, when I just closed my Powerbook.  When I get back to the
office tomorrow, and connect to the LAN, SpeedDownload will
automatically resume the download, and place the comlete file on my
desktop, ready for installlation manually.

I downloaded QuickTime 6.5 this way this afternoon, and installed it
flawlessly under 10.3.1.

I originally bought SpeedDownload when I had a dial-up connection,
when I found that often the download was interrupted, blocked or
something, and I always lost everything.  With SD, you can always
resume from where you left off.  I highly recommend it.  It
interfaces fine with Safari, and handles the downloads seamlessly,
with no intervention from the user.

You can download SD and run it as a demo for some days, to see what I mean.

regards,  Trevor