Panther and (Word) file names

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sat Dec 20 10:25:57 PST 2003

I have just made the transition, so far without problem, to Panther,
on 15"FW800 Powerbook.

But this evenin, I notice a new strange behaviour.

I am working with many Word (Office v X) files.

Some of these have long file names.

The OS can jhandle thelong names OK, in that the files are on the
disk with long names.

For example:	Organic Chemistry multiple choice QuickQuiz.doc

However, when I work on  this document, and then try to save it, I
get the message:

		This is not a valid file name

The Save dialogue then presents me with a shortened version of the
name (as it seems that Word can  only handle short names, which is
not at all new), yet when I continue with the save process, it gives
me that same error again, even though it does save the file.  Then I
have to manually rename the file.

This feels a very strange behaviour.  Is this some incompatibiltiy of
Word file name handling that appears with Panther ?

I even had Word suddenly quit on me, after one of those messages.

Has anyone seen this same issue?

regards,  Trevor