[Ti] more on: Disk Warrior and Panther

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Dec 21 11:00:59 PST 2003

At 00:55 -0600 21/12/03, Kynan Shook wrote:
>Diskwarrior 3.0 will not run under Panther.  Boot off the
>Diskwarrior CD if you want to run it, or use some other hard drive
>with 10.2.x, if you have one available.

Kynan - you are correct.  The Alsoft site does indeed clearly say (I
had not looked) that a fix is needed for Panther which will be coming
shortly.  I should have checked at Alsoft before posting...     :-(

>Any time you perform an upgrade, it is advisable to check certain
>types of programs you may use; anything that installs a kernel
>extension, any disk utilities, anything that modifies the OS's
>normal behavior in any way...  Essentially, anything that isn't your
>average run-of-the-mill word processor, web browser, and other
>"normal" applications.

At major upgrades, there is always a lag period before updates and
fixes and patches are issued for 3rd party software.  If I had found
significant problems with the transition to Panther, I would have
just changed back to Jaguar, and waited for some time.  But
everything seemed to work so well.  DiskWarrior is the only software
that has an issue so far, apart from that strange file name behaviour
with Word.  I have nver seen it before in all my years, so I am sure
it is some incompatibility issue.

My internet connection is so slow here in Saudi Arabia that I donot
really have the luxury of easily checking out all the issues on the
web, as I used to do.  Maybe M$T have already posted something about
this behaviour of Word.  I will check specifically.

regards, Trevor