[Ti] Still having trouble with site log ins & Safari??

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley hutley at geneva-link.ch
Sun Dec 21 10:52:53 PST 2003

At 08:53 -0600 21/12/03, Barry Lyden wrote:
>Hmm...
>I have this same problem with HTTPS at work using Safari, but also when
>using Netscape and Opera on a PC, as well as my Mac. I assumed it was
>because the network administrators had programmed the proxy server to block
>all but Internet Explorer when using HTTPS. Is this not the case? Does
>Safari have problems with respect to HTTPS? Why  does the same thing happen
>with the other browsers? Can't help but wonder whether something more
>sinister lurks beneath. :-)

Barry - with Camino on my Mac, I can access the E*Trade https site,
but not with IE523 nor with Safari 1.1.

My PC has the identical connection configuration to my Mac, and with
the PC I can access the https site of E*Trade.

This would seem reasonable evidence that the proxy server has not
been configured in some diabolical way, as you suspect.  I will check
tomorrow whether Netscape on the PC gets to the same https site.

After all my experiments with different browsers on my Mac, I feel
the evidence points to weaknesses in Safari in this regard.  As you
mentioned, it is perfect at remembering passwords and logins on
websites, but fails every time at user and password at the proxy
server.  Camino is by far the most elegant at handling this aspect.

I will ask our system designer/administrator if he knows of any proxy
server setting that might explain the https access issue.

regards,  Trevor