Sonnet Aria 802.11g PCMCIA card

John McDaniel johnmcd at one.net
Mon Dec 22 13:24:52 PST 2003

Anybody used the Sonnet Aria 802.11g PCMCIA card in a vintage
(non-Airport Extreme) TiBook?

Is your reception better than an internal Airport card?

I'm thinking about removing the Airport card from by 500 Mhz TiBook and
installing it in my daughter's iBook. Then putting the Sonnet Aria into
my TiBook and adding new 802.11g wireless to my office network. Santa
could arrange to bring 802.11g to the home network as well, which
includes an Airport Extreme capable eMac (no card yet), a soon to be
Airport iBook and my TiBook (w/Aria).

Question: What kind of drag on 802.11g speeds is put on wi-fi by the
simultaneous use of "g" and "b"?

I'm assuming that I'd be better off leaving the eMac out of the wi-fi
picture and put it on ethernet to leave more bandwidth to the TiBook
and iBook. True?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

j mcd
--