[Ti] [OT] Airborne Express, was Re: [Ti] Electricity "leak"

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Mon Dec 29 04:54:48 PST 2003

On 29 Dec 2003, at 11:37, Steve Wozniak wrote:

> At 5:25 AM -0600 2003.12.29, Kynan Shook wrote:
>
>> I was lucky in one of the travels (both were with an orchestra), in
>> that they put all of our large instruments into a container to be
>> loaded directly onto the plane, and not bounced around on conveyor
>> belts.  Even so, when a relative travelled across the country to loan
>> me a much better cello, we purchased a seat on the plane for it,
>> rather than risk getting it dropped.
>
> A musician friend of mine, Roger McGuinn, always buys an extra seat
> for his guitar. Same reasoning, I guess.

I used to play the cello and have also bought it an extra seat. You can
get (very expensive) flight cases for cello's, but if the baggage
handler wants to destroy the cello, even the flight cases are not
guaranteed to protect such a fragile instrument.

I don't think it's people's general attitude to others property, but
the accepted normal practice among baggage handlers.
--
Tarik