[Ti] PowerBook "power"... or lack thereof

Kynan Shook kynan at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 30 10:19:20 PST 2003

What happens if you go into the Energy Saver control panel and change
the processor performance from the battery's default Automatic to
Highest?  Also, check the power adapter settings; Highest is the
default for the power adapter, but Automatic is available as well.
Automatic is usually the best choice as far as a balance between power
consumption and heat produced, and getting enough speed.  It usually
works fairly well; the speed of the processor goes up and down as
needed.  However, there seem to be certain applications that just don't
trigger the processor to speed up appropriately, it would seem; perhaps
ArcExplorer is one of them.  The Automatic setting will allow your
PowerBook to automatically go between 1.25 GHz and 765 MHz.
There are other possibilities as well.  One is the amount of cache.
The PowerBook has 512 K of L2 cache, and no L3 cache.  The PowerMac
probably has 256 K of L2 cache and 1 MB of L3 cache.  The L3 cache
might be just right to help speed up this particular application.  I've
done a lot of testing with my 17" 1 GHz PowerBook (which has a 256 K L2
and a 1 MB L3 cache), and in almost no cases does the L3 cache actually
help performance in any measurable way.  It helps significantly if the
L2 cache is not present; you can still retain about 80% of the speed
gain given by the L2 cache with just the L3 cache and no L2 cache, but
the speed difference between both L2 and L3 running and only L2 running
is almost always miniscule.  Now, that's not always; some people have
reported that Virtual PC, for example, runs much faster on the machines
with this L3 cache.  Perhaps your application is another example,
though besides VPC, I haven't heard of any others that lose significant
speed from the change in cache.  Doubling the L2 and removing the L3 in
almost all cases will make the computer much faster...  Unless, of
course, you have more data to be cached than fits in 512 K (well,
actually, it depends on cache placement policies, and where in memory
the data is stored, and all that, but we'll ignore that).  If you're
really curious to test this theory, you can install the optional CHUD
tools from Apple's developer tools installer.  Among the things
installed is a Hardware preference pane which should allow you to
selectively enable and disable the caches on your G4, so you could see
what it's like with no L3 cache.
On modern computers, RAM is very slow compared to the speed of the
processor.  However, if RAM is considered slow, that makes the hard
drive several orders of magnitude worse than glacial.  We're talking
about the CPU waiting millions and millions and millions of cycles if
it suddenly needs something off the hard drive.  If there is a lot of
hard drive access (you can listen for it), that might also explain some
of the slowdown.  The PowerBook's drive runs somewhat slower than a
desktop drive; most PowerBooks use a 4200 RPM drive, as opposed to the
usual desktop standards of 5400 or 7200.  This is done mostly for power
consumption issues, but also to reduce the amount of noise produced.
5400 RPM laptop drives are available, but they're hotter, louder, and
will shorten your battery life.  One advantage of laptop drives is that
the data must be packed into a smaller space on the hard drive, so even
though the drive is spinning more slowly, often the data is passing
under the heads at nearly the same speed (the heads cover less area in
a specific amount of time, but the bit density is often significantly
higher in the smaller drives).  However, it could be a contributing
factor.

Anyway, that should give you a few ideas on what could influence the
speeds...  Hope your brain didn't explode there!