[Ti] [OT] Airborne Express, was Re: [Ti] Electricity "leak"

jpe listmail at acedsl.com
Tue Dec 30 20:52:46 PST 2003

Happy holidays everyone.

Back in the days when I was touring with a rap group. I had these
custom cases made for the set up (no turntables). Part of the rig
that we would take on board was a 3 tiered keyboard stand and an
apple IIe.
We didn't have to buy extra seats tho, we would book empty flights
and couldn't fly on certain planes (one where the overheads weren't
long enough for the dismantled keyboard stand to fit.

As far as service it comes down where your at and who you know. Once
when I was staying at a house that was just built in the middle of
nowhere and not on any maps, Fed Ex and AirBourne went out of thier
way getting me packages. Airbourne sent one driver who knew where it
might be to meet another who had no idea to find it, Fed Ex had one
employee wait after work for the truck to come back that had the
package and couldn't find it so that they could bring it back that
evening. It didn't get there till about 11 that night.  I make sure I
get cool with every delivery person that service me. It makes a
difference. UPS and FedEx cats I know well, and they will come back
twice in the same day if the dispatcher catches them in time.
Airborne drivers change up, so If I miss them it's a wrap till the
next day.

If you are sending something of your own that is of value, make sure
you insure it. When it gets to you, open it and inspect it before you
sign for it. If it is damaged, refuse and file a claim. If it is a
valuable, cherished item, irreplaceable item, it really is better to
buy a seat for it.

I NEVER use UPS for anything but packages of things that can't break.
I have heard too many horror stories about getting UPS to cover
damages.

>At 5:25 AM -0600 2003.12.29, Kynan Shook wrote:
>
>>Several times I have flown with my cello; not a cheap instrument,
>>unfortunately, and very easily damaged.  I spent well over an hour
>>packing it...  Loosening the strings just a little (but not too
>>much, or the soundpost can fall), packing every square inch of open
>>space in the case with socks and towels to keep things from getting
>>banged around too much, then sealing the case and wrapping it in
>>bubble wrap...  I was lucky in one of the travels (both were with
>>an orchestra), in that they put all of our large instruments into a
>>container to be loaded directly onto the plane, and not bounced
>>around on conveyor belts.  Even so, when a relative travelled
>>across the country to loan me a much better cello, we purchased a
>>seat on the plane for it, rather than risk getting it dropped.
>
>A musician friend of mine, Roger McGuinn, always buys an extra seat
>for his guitar. Same reasoning, I guess.
>--
>
>Regards,
>
>Steve  (is tv wake zone?)

>To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
><Titanium-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
>Need help from a real person? Try.
><Titanium-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

>$14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac ISP
>Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!   http://macinternetaccess.com
>
>RoadTools $30 PodiumPad available at Apple retail stores, $20 Traveler
>CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

"If You Think It's Not a Game, You Already Lost" - J.P. Edmund