[Ti] Dead Ti :-(

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Sun Feb 2 10:34:02 PST 2003

"Jeffrey K. Lew" <jklew at ucla.edu> writes:
> Holding the Ti's reset button in for more than a few seconds is one
> of the ways to fry the logic board, per Apple. You're supposed to
> push and release the button, then wait for 5 seconds, then attempt to
> restart.

It shouldn't fry the logic board, but it could crash the Power
Management Unit.  The PMU is responsible for all sorts of things;
charging the battery, figuring out whether you're on AC or battery,
booting the computer, and can cause tons of different problems.
Crashing the PMU could give you erratic behavior, and in a desktop Mac,
it will drain the battery in a day or two (instead of 5 years or so
under normal use).  However, in a laptop, this battery is rechargeable,
so I'm not sure that you'd have any lasting effects; you would just
notice a few oddities until the PMU got reset again.

In general, you should only press the reset button once, and for less
than a second.  This also applies to desktop computers, though I'm
referring to the internal CUDA or PMU Reset button on the logic board,
not the button on the front or side of the computer.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html