[Ti] Am I missing something?

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Feb 4 15:26:36 PST 2003

John,

The GhzTi isn't the newest-shiniest bike on the block anymore.. Hasn't been
for quite some time. I know many GhzTi owners are choked with the release of
the new Powerbooks, but newer releases can't be the source of regret with
your shiny new system. No one would ever buy a new computer then.

I don't understand how you see this as Apple "hobbling" you computer.. The
17" Ti came out (only about 5 people in the world have them so far) after
the 15" and the new iMacs were just announced today (they're not EVEN out
yet). The previous iMac is a desktop computer - not portable, considerations
have to be made for size, battery, is the drive the EXACT same size?

You say you can't afford to wait for a DVD to burn at that speed - but when
that machine came out (several months ago, a lot of time in computer terms)
- it was the fastest DVD at that time and the same one that was in the other
computers of that time. This is the computer you bought, any computer you
buy is "obsolete" the next day (who coined that phrase because I hate it).

What exactly is it that your brand new laptop computer's dvd burning speed
is causing you to lose so much money on?

Please share your bait and switch thoughts.. What fact did Apple not print
until the 15"? I don't know anyone who was under the impression that it was
going to burn any faster than 1X, plus I heard there is an argument now
whether the 17" is 2X or 1X.

I do not think you are missing anything to answer your original question.
Go and enjoy your amazing computer!

On 2/4/03 2:56 PM, "John Griffin" <jwegriffin at mac.com> wrote:

> I just started burning my first DVD on my new 1 Ghz Powerbook. Imagine my
> surprise when I learned that 1x is the fastest speed supported! What gives
> here? This is the same mechanism that is in the 17" Powerbooks which have 2x
> burning.
>
> Even the iMacs with slower bus speed can burn faster than the TiPB! The only
> reason I can figure that they hobbled the TiPBs is so those of us who paid
> out plenty of cash for them for the DVD burning features will now turn
> around and pay out more $$$ for the 17" brutes. There is no other reason I
> can figure it, since they are obviously capable at burning at the faster 2x
> speed if they had the right firmware.
>
> I looked back on the brochures I collected and found that this fact was not
> revealed until the 15" ghz Powerbooks started shipping. I hate to use the
> words "SCAM" or "Bait and Switch" but I think something like that could be
> argued here.
>
> I sure hope there is a SuperDrive firmware upgrade in the works for the
> TiPBs, because I just can't afford the time to sit around and wait for these
> things to burn at such a slow speed.
>
> jg

Bill Reburn