[Ti] Am I missing something?

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 08:25:25 PST 2003

On  Tue, 04 Feb 2003 15:26:36 -0800 Bill Reburn <bill at pacificcoast.net>
wrote:

> I don't understand how you see this as Apple "hobbling" you computer.. The
> 17" Ti came out (only about 5 people in the world have them so far) after
> the 15" and the new iMacs were just announced today (they're not EVEN out
> yet). The previous iMac is a desktop computer - not portable, considerations
> have to be made for size, battery, is the drive the EXACT same size?

If the mechanism in the 1 Ghz is capable of 2x DVD burning (it is the same
mechanism in the 17" Powerbook) and it is shipped with the ability to only
burn at 1x, I call it "Hobbling."

> You say you can't afford to wait for a DVD to burn at that speed - but when
> that machine came out (several months ago, a lot of time in computer terms)
> - it was the fastest DVD at that time and the same one that was in the other
> computers of that time. This is the computer you bought, any computer you
> buy is "obsolete" the next day (who coined that phrase because I hate it).

Sorry, but this simply is not true. All DVD burners that have been released
since the middle of last year all burn at 2x (except the 1 ghz Powerbook at
1x and the latest iMacs and PowerMacs which burn at 4x).

My point is that it would only take a simple firmware upgrade to make the 1
ghz Powerbooks capable of 2x DVD burning. Why will they not do this?

jg