[Ti] how to get rid of Dock

Charles J. Thompson charlesjt at cox.net
Thu Feb 6 09:36:34 PST 2003

At 10:28 AM -0500 2/6/03, Victor Eijkhout wrote:
>Not quite what you were looking for, but with TinkerTool you can get
>the dock at the top of screen. That effectively makes it
>inaccessible. This may actually even be better than making it go
>away completely, because this way I still see the bouncing icons if
>an application is in trouble and needs my attention.
>
>But there is no way to click on it. I haven't used the dock in
>months. Between launchbar and dragthing I really don't need it.
>--

This sounds like a good, albeit not perfect, solution.  The only
benefit I see to keeping the Dock (as if we had a choice) is its
ability to hold minimized windows.  That is a time saver, although I
never access them directly from the dock.  I keep frequently-accessed
documents in dragthing or from their application.  L will stipulate
that, given the choice, I would forego minimized windows if I could
expunge the Dock.

Come to think of it, that probably explains why Apple seems to be
wedded to the Dock.  Without it, the little yellow button (upper left
corner of every window) would have no function.  I would vote to
reprogram it to become a "windowshade" function.

I am sorry to hear that bouncing icons are still visible.  My
Internet Explorer icon continually bounces for no reason at all,
often when it has no active window. open  My other apps, that really
do need attention occasionally, put an alert message on the screen.

I presume TinkerTool has proven to be stable and well-behaved for
you, so I'll give it a try.

Cheers!
Charles