[Ti] 4200 vs. 5400 rpm int. hd: decision?

b flipper at macsrule.com
Fri Feb 7 11:20:15 PST 2003

According to Dick Grable:

>Another question I'd love to revisit, regarding hard drives:  I have
>a 400MHz Titanium, whose 10GB int. drive is almost full.  I want to
>get a 40GB drive to replace it with - - should I get the 4200 rpm or
>5400 rpm Travelstar?  I

The speed increase between the two is negligible, however the
difference in heat generated [think Laws of Thermal Dynamics] is a
different story. The heat situation is more relevant to the mean time
between failure of the drive itself, not the Powerbook.

Video work, if we're talking about non-linear editing, is best done
on an ultra wide SCSI [10,000 rpm is nice], but that's a bit extreme
for most non-pro video editor-types.

~flipper