[Ti] What a waste ...

mburke6225 at aol.com mburke6225 at aol.com
Sun Feb 9 04:23:04 PST 2003

In a message dated 2/9/2003 6:32:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, david at ittpoi.com writes:

> It is a good practice to keep backups
> separate from the main system (preferably in a different building, or
> even city), something that is difficult to manage with internal hard
> disk drives, and even with external hard drives. Do you have some kind
> of system to rotate drives, or do you backup to some remote
> system?

I use a Soy AIT tape system to back up large media files (50 + gig) that I store at a separate location from my office.  It's not a big deal.  It's a matter of course.  These AIT tapes contain graphics, film and music; still images, 3D, edits and mixes.

Additionally it's wise to back up communications, (letters, e-mails, IM's, contracts, documents) for future retrieval.  But these doc types take up little space and back is is best on DVD or CD (cheaper and safer media).  In the 20 + years that I have been backing up on different media, only once did I have to do a hard disk restore.  But man, was I glad I had the files backed up.

One last thing: all tape back-up media deteriorates over time.  So be sure to refresh back up files from tape format to "most likely" a holographic DVD once they become commercially available and viable. I intend to.

MBurke