[Ti] How do I get more speed from my Ti 400?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sun Feb 9 10:02:18 PST 2003

>My Ti 400, 40GB IBM GNX Drive, 384 MB RAM, OS 10.2.3 runs like a
>snail. Would more RAM help? I am aware that the vid requirements are
>not met by this machine but Jag still runs better than any other
>OSX. Finder speed is my problem.

- Does all the RAM show up in System Profiler?
- How much available Hard Disk space? I read a TIL once that said a
minimum of 10% of disk should be left open in OSX (in your case 4GB);
I can't remember why, but OSX uses a very different memory management
system.
- Rebuilding Permissions has been reported on this list and others to
resolve performance issues
- Rebooting and hold down CMD & S keys to boot into single user mode.
When command line prompt appears type: fsck -y  repeat process until
you get a message that says disk appears to be okay (the process may
take several minutes each time).

Depending upon what applications you are running, 384mb should be
sufficient, however, I don't believe you can ever have too much RAM.
Hope this helps.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com