[Ti] How do I get more speed from my Ti 400?

b flipper at macsrule.com
Sun Feb 9 12:12:19 PST 2003

According to Lisbeth Zachs:

>söndagen den 9 februari 2003 kl 19.02 skrev Michael Bigley:
>>- Rebooting and hold down CMD & S keys to boot into single user
>>mode. When command line prompt appears type: fsck -y  repeat
>>process until you get a message that says disk appears to be okay.
>
>I understand this will be a check of the hard disk condition. But
>why couldn't he do that check with the Disk Utility application and
>what effekt would a slight faulty hard disk have on speed
>performance?
>Lisbeth in Gothenburg
><http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum> updat 030131
><http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)

For starters, the fsck, which is a basic file system check [meaning
BTrees, Directories, wrappers, etc] is done automatically when a
normal boot up occurs.

The ONLY reason to run it, is if real problems occur immediately
after booting. An fsck won't do anything related to your own files,
preferences, apps, etc.

If you ever run Apple Disk Utility, in the utilities folder, the
first thing it says is: "the startup disk was verified, and repaired
if necessary, on boot up" <--- something like that.. IF there are
probs immediately on startup, then, a file check, manually, using
fsck -y, is not a bad idea. But the number One cause of decreases in
'speed' is Root Directory fragmentation [or worse, inaccuracy],
followed closely by... fragmentation of files on the drive.

The workout: Use Disk First Aid [Disk Utility in X], followed by
Norton Speed Disk [take the kids to the park during this one, if
you've never de-fragged], followed by a regular DiskWarrior rebuilt
directory. The Macintosh will run faster, no question about it.
Leaving 20% [not 10% as was suggested earlier] of free hard drive
space on ALL partitions, drives, etc, is recommended also.

Lots of RAM is nice, when running huge RAM-hungry apps [Hi Adobe!!!],
but the things that screw up the most are the little things, prefs,
the Finder [thanks Apple for the Relaunch Finder, why not fix it
instead? Just a thought], funky Desktop customizing apps and
utilities, i.e. CandyBar, the .ape application .enhancers, etc.

Adding tons of RAM won't fix anything if the above situations are
allowed to fester.

~flipper