[Ti] What a waste ...

Frank Wiewandt fwphoto at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 9 19:40:50 PST 2003

Well Camron,

My post was somewhat based on an emotional reaction to a situation that I, quite
honestly, think is indicative of backward movement rather than a advancement in
the computer industry.

> i am sorry to say but if you are actually thinking of
> going to windows then you are on the wrong list.

I own a PC as well as a  Mac. Does that make me ineligible for membership in
the "club"?

>  FCP is the absolute
> best video editing software around.  it is used worldwide and in major
> editing studios.  Why on earth would you want to go to a wintel
> computer running avid?!

Do you use FCP? Let's see now, who are you?

As of 11/07/02:

>>> I'm Camron Flanders, I attend the University of Kansas.  I am 18 years
old, and I am in the Architectural Engineering program so I use the
'book to do computer animations and CAD renderings alot.  I run VPC
when I have to access AutoCAD drawings given to me by my classmates.
(EWWW, II can't stand looking at 2000 pro in a window on my pretty aqua
interface). <<<

I'm a professional still/video photographer who has was in this business before
anyone had even coined the word "videographer". Your opinions on the subject of
NLEs are worth less than the bandwidth you use posting irrelevant commentary
beyond your expertise.

I was impressed with FCP enough to have invested in a Mac strictly to use it. I
could have put my money on FCP, Avid, Media 100, VV, Premier, etc. if
I really wanted to. I chose FCP. I chose a Mac. Does that mean I have to put up
with a lack of support for it?

>  If you are a movie editor and buying some
> extra hard disks just isnt worth it to you then you may be in the wrong
> field.

That's big of you. Again, who are you to make such a comment?

>  yes, i agree that the compatablity issue is dumb,

That was my message.

> but then
> again, you didnt check before "throwing money at that machine" so isnt
> it partly your fault?

Actually the drive in my TiG4 is listed as supported. It was only after I had
problems that I dug into the Dantz & Apple forums to find that there is a
firmware issue. This is what I'm unhappy about.

You've taken my comment about "throwing money at that machine" out of context. I
said that in response to the suggestion that I purchase extra disk drives to
backup my system. While this is certainly a viable option, it is considerable
more expensive than Retrospect Express & a stack of CD-RWs.

>  i hope that you can resolve this issue and never
> think about "reverse switching" again.

It's not really up to me to "resolve this issue". This is a known issue that
affects a lot of folks, not just me. I think it's a shame that neither Apple or
Dantz seem concerned by issues like this. In this case, slogans like "It just
works", well, don't.

Two things before I end this post.

First, I really like my TiG4. I think FCP is the NLE of choice. I just want them
to live up to their reputations. I did not make this a Mac/PC issue. It is
plainly, in this case, a Mac/Dantz issue.

Second, I haven't enjoyed writing this post. I thought the tone of your post was
condescending & I really don't appreciate it. You added nothing to the
conversation beyond an attitude. Your cheerleading was aparently to be done at
my expense.

Grow up,

Frank Wiewandt