[Ti] Wireless Internet Access

Jim Soriano jsoriano at sumbeach.com
Mon Feb 10 12:00:43 PST 2003

Mark O'Brien wrote:

> Starbucks/T-Mobile are in the process of rolling this out, but last
> time I
> checked there were still many areas of the country that haven't been
> implemented yet.
> --
> Mark O'Brien
> AIM: rmarkob

True, T-Mobile's 802.11 is not everywhere, but as of today they have
2,024 sites up and running in the US.  A map can be found at
<http://locations.hotspot.t-mobile.com>.  Over 1,000 Starbucks in major
metro areas with Wi-Fi access today include:

Atlanta
Austin, San Antonio
Boston
Chicago
Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex
Denver
Hartford, Stamford, Danbury
Houston
New York Metro, Newark Area
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Portland
Rochester/Buffalo
Sacramento
San Francisco Bay Area
Seattle, Tacoma
Southern California
Virginia/Washington DC/Maryland

There are of course other 802.11 service providers and aggregators such
as Wayport and Boingo with a nationwide presence, and municipal (free)
hotspots in cities all across the U.S -- often located near colleges
and universities.

And, the latest estimate is over 1000 hotspots up in Europe
<http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2003/02/07/
hotspots_hot.html>.

Point is -- before one makes a significant investment in a CDMA or GPRS
PC card for wireless Internet access, see if you can use your built-in
AirPort instead.  In your particular locality it may be easier (and the
resulting network speeds faster) than you think.  More info on the 3G
vs. 802.11 debate is at <http://www.thinkmobile.com/Article/00/02/13/>.

Regards,

Jim

(Yes, I own a few hundred shares of Starbucks stock, but none in
T-Mobile.  And I use both 802.11b and GPRS (Bluetooth to Ericsson T39
phone) wireless Internet access methods with my TiPB.  And 802.11b is
waaaaaay better :-) )